Saturday 4th September 2021
Parking will be on the beach. Please note that the National Trust charges non-members £7.50 per car to drive on the beach. If you are a member please remember to bring your card.
Please park adjacent to the Finish, enquiries and download.
Pre-entries only – no entry on the day.
All entries via SIEntries Website:
Event Enquiries will operate from 10:30am.
Having entered online you can go directly to the start. Runners who have hired a dipper can collect them from Enquiries.
Sportident Electronic punching with beacon mode enabled for SI Air on all controls but not on the start and finish boxes which must be “dipped” in the traditional manner. Ordinary SI cards will work on all controls as normal. Passive SI dippers are available for hire and can be booked in the entry system.
Starts from 11.00am to 13.00pm.
When entering online please choose an available 15-minute start block. The number of starters in each block has been limited to aid with social distancing.
Courses Close at 3.00pm.
Start is 300m back along the beach from Finish / Downloads
Finish is adjacent to download. All competitors must Download even if they do not complete their courses.
Please bring your own water and make sure you are fully hydrated before starting.
- Juniors £6 (NIOA members £5)
- Seniors £12 (NIOA members £10)
A waterproof 1:5000 map of Portstewart Strand, updated summer 2021, will be used by all courses.
The longer courses will cross fences which divide the area. There are several gates in each. These are highlighted with the purple crossing symbol and must be used.
Fences and walls must not be climbed.
|Light Green||13||2.2 km|
|Short Green||14||2.3 km|
All dogs must be kept on leads at all times
Toilets are located by the National Trust booth at the beach entrance.
Portstewart is classic sand dunes Orienteering terrain. The area is unusual in that it is bounded by the sea to the north and by the River Bann to the south and west. In recent years large amounts of thorny scrub have been removed by the National Trust. This has increased runability and opened up new sections of terrain. The easterly section, near the start, has many small informal paths and while the map has been updated to show the principal ones, not all are mapped. The mid and west sections, in contrast, have very few paths and the contour detail here is particularly complex. There are a number of fences in these areas and the marked gate crossings must be used.
Coronavirus Safety Measures
This event is organised within the Covid regulations laid down by the NI Government and British Orienteering.
A number of measures have been put in place to provide for 2m Social Distancing and ensure your safety throughout this activity. Please pay attention to them.
Start Times are pre-allocated in 15min blocks so that we can minimise the number of people at the various stages of the event. Please time your arrival so that you can get to your start just in time.
During the event please use the hand sanitisers provided to maintain hygiene.
Do not touch the SI Control boxes except with the SI Card.
During the race please be aware of who is around you and try to maintain distance especially when approaching Controls.
As we are using public areas please be mindful of other users and give them space.
Please minimise pre and post-activity socialising and maintain your distance.
Car sharing (except for household bubbles) is not permitted to and from the event.
IMPORTANT You MUST NOT attend the activity if:
- You are unwell with a cough, fever or have had other Covid symptoms or tested positive for Covid-19 within the last 10 days
- You have been in close contact with anyone who is suspected of or confirmed as having Covid-19 in the 10 days before this event
- You are supposed to be Self Isolating or are undergoing testing for suspected Coronavirus
- You have been outside of Northern Ireland within the last 10 days **EXCEPT from exempted countries – See https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-advice for the current rules .
If you have a condition that makes you Clinically Vulnerable, please follow current government and medical advice before registering.
If you need to withdraw your entry due to Coronavirus restrictions we will refund your entry fee on request.
In the event that regulations change and we have to cancel the event we will refund entry fees .
- Parents should be aware that there will be regular car traffic driving up and down the beach past our parking area. Please supervise children accordingly.
- If the weather is sunny the dunes can become very hot (particularly in the hollows) and dehydration is possible. Runners should ensure they are well hydrated before starting and bring their own water bottle as covid regulations mean we cannot supply water at the finish.
- In windy and wet conditions the dunes are very exposed and the wearing of cagoules may be advised.
Organiser: Rachel Reid
Planner: Ross Walker
Controller: Charlie Reid
Date(s) - 4th Sep 2021
10:30 - 13:30
Portstewart Sand Dunes